Skip to main content

New steel wishbones - switch from alloy control arms

After almost thirty years these Porsche 944's have either worn out their ball joints or are needing new ones fairly soon. Worn balljoints are a real safety concern and a MOT / roadworthy failure.

Ordinarily, it's an expensive fix as the alloy Porsche wishbones (or control arms or A-arms as our american brethren call them) have an integrated balljoint - making them costly to replace. Choices are: hopefully good used ones; a DIY ball joint repair kit; refurbished ones; or new ones from Porsche.

Even refurbished alloy wishbones are about £200 plus the exchange of your old ones. Not  a cheap fix although well engineered. The balljoint repair kits are around £50 and are a feasible alternative if the wishbone cup is in good condition. I had considered this route as my alloy wishbones look in good enough condition but rumours of poor longevity made me seriously consider another option - retrofitting steel wishbones such as those found on the 924's.



I found a pair of German made Febi units at my local motor factors with ball joints for less than £20 a side. These are identical to the ones on the VW Golf/Rabbit mk1's ( a throw back to the underpinnings of the VW-Porsche collaboration on the 924) so they are very well priced and offer cheap, yet safe, balljoint replacements for years to come. FTW.

 

I've heard a lot of talk about how much lighter the alloy wishbones are than the steel ones. Being a curious sort I just had to weigh them and discovered that the steel one weighs 2.1kg and the alloy 1.97kg. That's only 130 grams difference in this case! Hardly worth a debate.

I decided to have mine powder coated to keep with my "eighties disco" theme going on under The Hoff! Here all all the coloured bits laid out ready for assembly:


Here's a side by side comparison of the wishbones. The dimensions are obviously the same but it's clear to see they're not identical.



So what else will you need to make the switch?

Well besides the steel wishbones the other two big differences are the rear mount and anti-roll bar attachment. You can see from the image above that the steel wishbone has a protruding cylinder like prong; and the alloy wishbone has a single recessed hole where the ARB drop link attaches - the steel control arm has two holes for a completely different style of mount as seen below:


Although these are available new, I purchased a used pair and had them powder coated black. 

Here's a comparison between the 924 and 944 outer anti-roll bar mounts:



At the other end of the wishbone is the castor mount attachment and rear wishbone bracket. The standard 944 and uprated 968 castor mounts are not compatible with the steel wishbones at all. The alloy wishbones use a strange adjustable bolt that fits between the control arm and the castor mount to make the adjustments to, well you know... it also holds the rear of the wishbone secure. Once again I purchased used ones and had them powder coated black - the 924 style (right) compared to the standard 944 rear bracket:


The 924 style has elongated slots for the chassis bolts so that they can provide the adjustment to the wishbone as opposed to the eccentric bolt used on the alloy A-arms.

The 924 style rear bracket has another benefit too - cheap VW Golf/Rabbit uprated poly bushes. I bought a set of Prothane Bugpack poly wishbone bushes for £18 from VW Heritage - a huge saving:


So to summarise to make the switch to steel wishbones you need:
  1. a pair of VW Golf/Rabbit mk1 wishbones and balljoints;
  2. a pair of 924 rear brackets;
  3. a pair of 924 ARB outer mounts;
  4. bushes to suit;
  5. your existing wishbone mounting bolts/nuts.



Comments

  1. I'm considering this 'downgrade' due to a prematurely worn-out rebuild kit in my aluminium arms. Does the ride/steering suffer much? or is any difference purely psychological?
    Kind regards,
    Frans Bunschoten, Holland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Frans, I haven't been out on the road yet as my engine is still needing to be fitted. I'll post my impressions when I've hit the streets.

    Bear in mind that many who race 924/944 use the steel wishbones so there can't be much if any difference in handling.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Engine out the top - Easy Peasy

After reading numerous posts, the Porsche workshop manual and Clarks Garage step-by-step engine removal guide - I felt confident enough to tackle the job. But I wanted to remove the engine from the top.  As I discovered, it was pretty straight forward even for a novice! Result. I wanted to avoid removing the cross member and disturb the front suspension to do something I was convinced could be done easier from the top. Posts such as this one convinced me to give it a go at least. And I'm glad I did. In summary I was able to remove the engine from the top without needing to remove the bonnet/hood; torque tube; transaxle; bellhousing; clutch; clutch slave cylinder; cross member; front suspension; and radiator. Contrary to many so called internet experts opinions and many confusing threads this was painless and without dread. All that was necessary to remove was the starter; power steering pump and alternator (I figured to make the bottom of the engine narrower); intak

New Steering shaft bearing Nightmare removal

In my quest to tighten up the handling on the 944, I bought a new Needle Bearing from Porsche in an attempt to eliminate the fore-aft play in the steering at the top universal joint. The part number for the replacement is 477.419.059 and costs £88.86 posted from an OPC. Nothing like the effort required to actually remove the old one... I began the process by reading section 48 of Porsche Workshop manual. It appeared a simple enough process but two things bothered me: firstly, it required a chisel to remove a shear bolt (which in my limited experience never "shear"; and secondly a drill to remove two screws from the ignition lock. I was bothered because a quick look under the dashboard made it quite obvious that whoever had written the manual hadn't performed this task - well not without a dashboard in place that's for sure. I was bothered before I'd even started. Furthermore, the manual doesn't detail the replacement of this bearing at all - just the rem

Bellhousing & Clutch fork removal

Removing the bellhousing from the Porsche 944 engine is not as complicated as it may seem - such as in this situation with my replacement engine. When I removed the original engine I detached it from the bellhousing in the car and removed the clutch pressure plate bolts through the starter motor hole - see my other post for details . In this case I decided to remove the clutch fork pivot shaft bolt. Begin by removing the four 17mm bellhousing bolts - you'll find that the bellhousing doesn't detach completely from the engine. It'll feel like its hooking on something. That something is the clutch fork pivot shaft inside the bellhousing. The bellhousing will be loose enough to rotate - turn it 180 degrees and peek through the access port which is now on top - this is what you'll see: If the engine is still in car you'll be looking at this from underneath. The pivot shaft needs to be extracted from the clutch fork. It's held in place by a small bolt on the